Weston Library, Lecture Theatre, 10-12noon
On the day after Henrike Lähnemann’s Inaugural Lecture, there was the opportunity to see all Medingen manuscripts held in Oxford together (list of manuscripts) and discuss various aspects with a panel of specialists.
- Henrike Lähnemann (Oxford): Introduction
- Andrew Honey (Oxford): Plaque in the Psalter and the Bindings
- Nigel F. Palmer (Oxford): Cistercian Punctuation
- Alan Coates (Oxford): The Incunable Traces
- Ulrike Hascher-Burger (Utrecht): Musical Notation
- Abbess Bärbel Görcke (Mariensee): The Prayer-Book of Abbess Odilia
The manuscripts were presented by the Tolkien Curator of Medieval Manuscripts, Martin Kauffmann, and Yvonne Murphy, Keble College, introduced the prayer-book from Keble College library.
For more information, visit the website of the Centre for the Study of the Book with the booking form (with thanks to Alex Franklin for setting this up and organising the event!).
Image: Oxford, Bodleian Library, MS. Lat. liturg. f. 4, fol. 174v: The Medingen nuns in Cistercian habit and a group of lay-people from Lüneburg in their Sunday best take leave of the celebrating together the Resurrection of Christ at sun-set of Easter Sunday : Vale, vale, valeas! View the full manuscript on the flickr-site of the DIY digitisation project of the Bodleian Special Collections